Connect with an insurance agent today.
Commercial & Business Owners Policies in NJ, NY, and PA
Business owners policies and commercial packages allow businesses to bundle together some of the more common types of stand-alone insurance policies for deeply discounted rates. This makes common insurance policies more affordable for business owners while providing some degree of coverage for the essentials.
The specific policy details will vary from one carrier to another, and some businesses may need more of a specific type of protection than the general policy provides. That’s why it’s so important to work with an independent agency who will work with you to make sure all your coverage needs are met with the coverage you choose.
A typical business owners policy, also known as a BOP, covers small to mid-sized businesses, commonly referred to as “Main Street” businesses. Some examples of businesses usually insured with a BOP are retail stores, contractors, restaurants, pizzerias, offices, and auto service shops, to name a few. The policy covers your property, liability, loss of income and a host of additional coverages. Our companies offer various enhanced endorsements to cover specific needs for each business class.
A commercial package policy, also known as a CPP, is used when a business does not fit the parameters for a BOP policy. A CPP is usually used for mid- to large-sized businesses. The policy combines property, building and/or business personal property with general liability coverage. There are numerous endorsements that can be added to the policy to meet the specific needs of a business, thus giving you more of a tailored policy.
Differences Between Commercial & Business Owners Policies
Before purchasing an insurance policy, it’s important for business owners to understand the differences between commercial general liability and business owners policies. The following illustrates the main differences between the two:
- Commercial General Liability: These policies provide basic liability protection for physical injuries, property damage, and reputational damage claims. The policy will pay for the injured party’s medical and repair bills, plus any legal fees you incur if they file a lawsuit against you.
- Business Owners Policies: This type of policy bundles general liability and commercial property insurance together to reimburse business owners for property and assets damaged by fire, theft, or natural disaster. The policy provides more robust coverage, including business interruption coverage for lost wages and ongoing operational expenses.
If you’re unsure about which plan is right for your specific situation, don’t hesitate to reach out to one of the knowledgeable representatives at Birtwhistle & Livingston. Our team is always happy to answer your policy questions to help you select the best insurance option for your business.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s covered under business owners insurance?
Business owners insurance typically covers the following key items:
- Physical Injuries
- Property Damage
- Reputational Damage
- Natural Disaster
- Lost Wages/Business Interruption
Business owners can also optimize their coverage by adding optional coverages such as data breach, off-premise utility, and other specialized coverage areas.
Who needs business owners insurance?
A business owners policy should be considered if the following situations apply:
- The business has a brick-and-mortar location
- There's real potential the business could get sued
- There are valuable assets that could get damaged or stolen
What’s typically included in business owners insurance policies?
The following items are typically included in business owners policies:
- Commercial Property Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Business Income Insurance
- Data Breach Coverage
- Professional Liability Coverage
Discuss your options with Birtwhistle & Livingston to receive expert guidance on the best policies available for your specific needs.
Birtwhistle & Livingston: Insuring Englewood’s Leading Businesses
At Birtwhistle & Livingston, we are committed to helping Englewood business owners get the comprehensive coverage they need to remain successful. We offer many different coverage options to help business owners combat the unexpected and bounce back following an unforeseen event. Contact our team today to get the business owners insurance policy you need to succeed!